“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
I think we misunderstood what the Mayans were trying to tell us. The world didn’t end in 2012. The calendar turned over and a new year began after all. Perhaps a new age is beginning.
There’s something special about this time of year. Resolutions feel achievable, commitments are strong and there’s a sense that we get a fresh start to make the year anything we want it to be.
I want the year to be full of promise, hope and renewal. My wish is to return to my former self. The anxiety felt since my brother’s death, my daughter’s near-fatal illness and the news about my enlarging heart have all contributed to my soul feeling alone, empty – afraid.
But with the New Year here, I have a different choice.
I can choose to see the gifts before me. I can choose to savor my wife’s sweet kiss a little longer; I can choose to hug my daughter a little tighter and I can choose to feel my brother’s spirit fill me up.
But more than any of those things, I can choose to see the life inside of me. Opening my eyes to that view is the real promise of the New Year.
If you are like me and look to 2013 with optimistic appreciation, faith will be our guide to keep our souls moving through this new age:
- When the task becomes hard and hope is fading, see the strength in you and believe you have overcome before.
- When the criticism becomes deafening, see the value in you and believe you are worth more than what anyone says.
- When the world feels like it is coming down around you, see the light in you and believe your spark has not been extinguished.
- When love seems a million miles away, see the courage in you and believe you are loved by the one who made you. And from that love, love will come again.
- When you feel afraid, see the life in you and believe change is coming and the best days are ahead.
Sometimes the simple path to seeing the life in you begins by finding the courage to say farewell to the old, to the broken and to the painful so you can welcome a new age that is brimming with promise.
Welcome hope, healing and love. Welcome confidence, enlightenment and promise.
Let’s welcome our souls back from fear. Let’s celebrate the light that has arrived to watch over our souls as they journey back home.
What is A Simple Path?
This post is in A Simple Path, a twice-weekly series of short pieces inspired by my own life experiences. Each post is a simple path to experiencing something wonderful: maybe seeing life from a different perspective, or celebrating its beauty. Click here to read all posts in the series.