Don’t live life hiding behind your past, live for right now. – Nichole William
There have been many times when I wanted to change the past, but that’s impossible. The best I can do is change today.
A Bittersweet Agreement
Like most people, my past is a mixed bag. When I open it, the beautiful things are carefully packed to one side. I’ve learned to organize what’s goes into the bag so I can keep these memories safe.
After gently handling the good memories, my attention then turns to the items I have difficulty in forgetting: Regret, mistakes, and loss. It’s these things that still have the power to break my heart.
I guess living with a mixed bag is a bittersweet agreement that’s part of being human.
One Moment at a Time
I don’t want to forget what has been good for me and at the same time I don’t the bad things to rob me of the peace and happiness I deserve. So, instead of throwing the bag away, I try to live fully in the present – one moment at a time. And I try not to change the things that live in my bag – I try to change the things that live in me today.
The ability to change today is about attitude, willpower and desire. It’s about seeing the gifts that are right in front of us today. Things like:
- Knowing you were made to reflect the light.
- Offering an apology when you are wrong.
- Granting forgiveness when it is needed.
- Receiving love when it is offered.
- Giving love when it is requested.
- Holding on when you feel like you’ve hit rock bottom.
God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. – Voltaire
- Burning for something bigger than you.
- Making peace with yourself and others.
- Believing love is worth everything you put into it.
- Letting hope hold you up.
- Appreciating what you have and wanting nothing more.
- Not allowing the shade to block the sun.