Life is just a chance to grow a soul. – A. Powell Davies
Morning runs are back!
From late May to mid-August, the sun is up early so getting outside for a morning run at 5:30 is possible. Even though I’m a year-round runner, this is my favorite time to lace up my shoes.
The smell of fresh morning air, hearing the birds’ sweet symphony and watching the sprinklers spray water across green grass fills my senses like no other moment. During these morning runs, I’m mindful of my heart beating as perspiration covers me like a thin, soft blanket.
There’s no question about it: I’m alive and consciously aware of what is going on around me.
My morning summer runs are a wonderful reminder of the need to live consciously everyday.
Probably like you, I have the tendency to fall into predictable routines, or ruts: I get up – go to work – help with family responsibilities – squeeze in some writing time – fall into bed.
During these ruts I’ll living more automatically than consciously. The morning runs, on the other hand, offer a needed wake-up call. They give me the chance to extend my morning consciousness into the rest of my day’s activities.
Soon the sun will rest a little longer before rising to meet me but there’s always time – time to remember to live consciously in the months before May and after August by:
- Take conscious control of the decisions and choices you make.
- Be fully present in every moment. If you are working – work intentionally. If you are loving – love deliberately, and if you are praying – pray passionately.
- Be good to your body. Give it rest and nourishment. Treat it like you do your partner, child or best friend.
- Add self-reflection to your daily routine. Find five minutes each day to consider you. Are you living according to your purpose? Are you living with passion? Are you being more than doing?
- Live with a forgiving heart. Forgive yourself and others. Leave yesterday in the past and embrace the here and now with an open heart.
- Walk by faith. Trust what you can’t always see and believe there’s a plan for your life greater than you can imagine.
- Reflect on how you spend your time. How much time do you spend playing app games or watching TV? How much time do you spend in meaningful conversations? Determine if you are using your time wisely and then plan how you want to spend your time tomorrow.
- Be positive. See the value in all things and seize the opportunities to grow and learn from every situation – the good ones, and the bad.
Sometimes the simple path to living consciously begins when you challenge your routine with things that awaken your senses, spirit, and soul with delightful vigor.
There are still two more months for morning runs before the treadmill takes back over. Along with soaking up every delicious second, I will also begin paying attention to how I can extend this time to other areas of my life and keep the consciousness flowing all year long.
What is A Simple Path?
This post is in A Simple Path, a series of short pieces inspired by my own life experiences. Each post is a simple path to experiencing something wonderful: maybe seeing life from a different perspective, or celebrating its beauty. Please be sure to check out my book on Amazon: 20 Simple Paths to an Amazing Life.