“If you wait, all that happens is you get older.” – Larry McMurtry
There is only one truth that leads to positive life change: Nothing changes until you do.
What do you want to change?
Do you want to lose weight, improve a relationship, start a creative project, find a new job or commit to reading more books or watching less television?
No matter what part of your life is nudging you to change; change won’t happen until you are ready to take the first step. When you do, the change you want to see will meet you where you are.
Feeling the Nudge
This past Saturday morning I woke up feeling more anxious than usual. The day before was my birthday.
My family did a wonderful job helping me celebrate. Mary Beth fixed my favorite breakfast, Brandon, my oldest child, came home for the weekend and we ended the day by watching fireworks after the Kansas City Royals baseball game.
A great day, but the anxiety still managed to find a way to hoover over me like a pesky fly.
On Saturday, the nudge felt more like an alarm than a gentle reminder. My inner voice was begging me to make the changes I know I need to make so I can push the anxiety away and welcome peace back.
Here are the changes, the small steps, I’m willing to make to begin changing my life:
- Get more sleep – go to bed 30 minutes earlier.
- Eat a better diet – more fresh fruits and vegetables, less gluten and processed foods.
- Reduce alcohol consumption – a beer now and then and an occasional glass of wine is enough.
- Learn more about mediation – since starting a mediation program a few weeks ago, I’m beginning to see the positive impact it’s having.
- Work on my new book more often – I will make good progress each weekend and also add it to my weekly writing schedule.
- Reconnect with my spirituality – maybe this is through mediation or maybe it’s by finding a place to worship.
The best thing about this daily action plan is I don’t have to do it all in one day, week or month – I just have to begin. Where it leads me becomes a matter of faith.
Sometimes the simple path to changing your life begins by listening to the truth and then be willing to respond by taking just one small step at a time.
After celebrating my birthday last Friday, one thing became clear: My life is past the midway point.
I know I have fewer years to live than I’ve already lived, but rather than worrying about what’s been lost, I will begin squeezing as much as joy, peace and gratitude as I can from each day that is left. Through this empowered living, my hope is I will be able to release the anxiety.
I don’t have to change all at once; I just have to start.
Today is a good day to start.
What is A Simple Path?
This post is in A Simple Path, a twice-weekly series of short pieces inspired by my own life experiences. Each post is a simple path to experiencing something wonderful: maybe seeing life from a different perspective, or celebrating its beauty. Click here to read all posts in the series.