With a thousand sweet kisses, I’ll cover you. – Jonathan Larson
Mary Beth and I are celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary today. More than a quarter of a century ago we were young, poor, and naïve. But we were in love and determined to make it work – no matter what.
We didn’t have much time to create the foundation to our marriage as we welcomed Brandon the following January. Life took off from there. Caitlin, Andrew and Emily soon completed our family. We also built our careers and then witnessed their subsequent collapse.
After a quick rebound, we moved from Virginia to Kansas. Once there, we found ourselves standing at the brink of divorce. We came back from that, too. The unexpected death of Mary Beth’s father; the anticipated death of my mother and the malformation that was discovered in my wife’s brain filled the years after our reconciliation.
Today we recognize what life has given us while anticipating what will happen next. And because of what Mary Beth and I have experienced, our love has transcended the explainable. It has moved to a place where our souls simply exist together because of the investments already made.
It is in this place where I know I still love my wife. It is here where I still feel the warmth of the comforting light that surrounds us. While its flame can be fragile at times, I have faith it will never be extinguished.
I’m certain my last breath will be shared with Mary Beth.
Though there are countless reasons why I love my wife, here are 26. My purpose in sharing these is to honor both my wife and the incredible power of love.
- Mary Beth’s compassion lights up the world.
- Her confidence is as vibrant as her beauty.
- My wife never backs down from her beliefs.
- She opens my eyes to the goodness in me.
- When I hug her, I get the feeling she’ll never let go.
- Even with four children, she keeps a whole heart for each one.
- My wife is my best friend.
- I miss her when we are apart.
- Mary Beth knows the name of the Kansas City Royal’s rookie first baseman.
- She forgives my mistakes.
- I love how she reaches for my hand during our evening walks.
- She never cuts corners when it comes to raising our children.
- No one cuddles better than my wife.
- Mary Beth helps me find my smile when it’s missing.
- She calls me on lunch breaks just to check in.
- Mary Beth finds something to laugh about everyday.
- My wife makes Christmas magical for our family.
- She has a spirit that refuses to give up.
- Mary Beth has seen the ugly in me and hasn’t turned away.
- She still makes date night special.
- Mary Beth is the biggest fan of my blog.
- No matter the circumstance, she has never left my side.
- My wife is a stunningly beautiful woman.
- Mary Beth’s time management “challenges” make her adorable.
- She has not lost her romantic impulse.
- Mary Beth loves me and is still determined to make it work – no matter what.
Please Spread the Word
Does The BridgeMaker inspire you? Spread it around your social circle! You can retweet on Twitter or share on Facebook— and don’t forget to subscribe for free updates twice weekly.