25 Amazing Things to Appreciate Today
When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. – Lao Tzu
It feels like the past several weeks have been one long day with just a handful of chances to find rest. This treadmill approach to life is grueling and it’s not sustainable. I get the sense my body is telling me to slow down; and I’m thinking I might want to listen.
Though the passion to accomplish my dreams still burns, this past Sunday I made the commitment to do nothing. My dreams were put on ice. I thought more about how to do nothing rather than how to do everything.
I didn’t write one single world; I closed my email; and I didn’t think about upcoming projects. Instead, my attention shifted to what was in front of me. My inner voice was telling me it doesn’t matter what I accomplish if I forget how to find delight in the simple things along the way.
This past Sunday was a day of rest and it was day to lift my head and take note of the gifts that are given to me every day. By slowing down I was able to see each gift’s amazing beauty; and by slowing down I was able to rekindle my appreciation for exactly what I have:
- I appreciate the first sip of coffee in the morning.
- I appreciate living in a warm home.
- I appreciate hearing my older son laugh.
- I appreciate when my favorite song is played on the radio.
- I appreciate receiving an encouraging comment on my blog.
- I appreciate listening to my younger daughter sing as she flits through the house.
- I appreciate the smell of dinner simmering in the slow cooker.
- I appreciate watching a KU basketball game with my older daughter.
- I appreciate the feeling of achievement after exercising.
- I appreciate receiving a compliment.
- I appreciate my next breath
- I appreciate the freedom to choose what I do; what I feel and who I am.
- I appreciate having fresh water to drink.
- I appreciate knowing I will always be loved.
- I appreciate the ability to touch others with the words I write.
- I appreciate the sensation of hot water pouring over me in the shower.
- I appreciate the wisdom I have gained.
- I appreciate witnessing kindness.
- I appreciate believing my faith will never abandon me.
- I appreciate getting text updates from my younger son at college.
- I appreciate wearing clean clothes.
- I appreciate a sweet kiss.
- I appreciate the essence of a good wine.
- I appreciate knowing baseball’s spring training will be here soon.
- I appreciate having my wife next to me every night.
The treadmill started again on Monday morning and I stepped on it obligingly. There is still more I want to do with my life. There is still a relationship to nurture with Mary Beth, children to raise and then grandchildren to welcome. There are still more words to write; places to visit and bills to pay.
There is still more to do before I die.
My inner voice is telling me on my last day I probably won’t remember the details of every dream realized; but I will remember with delightful clarity the simple things that brought me comfort, pleasure and peace during the journey.
It’s these things I took the time to appreciate a little more on Sunday.
It‘s these things I’m learning to appreciate a little more every day.
What do you appreciate?
What’s one amazing thing you appreciate? Please share in Comments below. Reading this by email? Please visit the blog to share – just click here.