Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. – A.A. Milne
After earning a college degree, raising four children, building an almost three-decade-old marriage and spending the last 25 years in the same career, I’ve learned a few things along the way – things I will always remember.
I’m blessed with the knowledge of how to help my children make good decisions; how to meet Mary Beth’s needs and how not to split an infinitive. This knowledge, as well as the experiences I’ve gained, is useful and life changing.
I will never forget when I was able to help Emily overcome her fear of riding a bike; or when my marriage was given a second chance; or when I found my voice as a writer.
But of the thousands of things I have learned, seen or experienced, there are certain things that stand out most. These are the things that give me hope, inspire my faith and help me see how beautiful life can be even on the days when it feels so dark; these are the things to always remember:
- Your past mistakes don’t define who you are today.
- Understand you are stronger than you think.
- It’s never too late to be the person you dare to be.
- Take time to rest. It’s okay.
- A little love goes a long way.
- Follow your heart and become what inspires you.
- Love the person you are becoming.
- You may never get over a loss, but you can get through it.
- Always be kinder than you feel.
- Celebrate the wonderfully, remarkably imperfect you.
- The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them.
- Be grateful for this day.
- Happiness is a form of courage.
- Don’t let your past steal your future.
- Sometimes the best thing to do is to breathe.
- Even when you stumble you are still moving forward.
- You are worthy to have your heart’s desire.
- Live a life full of bold choices; not regrets.
- Letting go of what’s not working isn’t a sign of weakness – it’s a sign of strength.
- Expect little. Give much. Love extravagantly.
- You’ll get to where you want to be a little faster when you dump some of your junk.