Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. – Erich Fromm
Mother’s Day has become a bittersweet day for me.
My mother died five years ago, but she gave up many years before that. As a child, I didn’t understand her choices or the chaos that seemed to hang in the air like a thick smoke that resisted any attempt to dissipate it.
Peace did come before my mother died when I learned how to let go of the anger and find forgiveness.
On the first Mother’s Day after she died, Mary Beth asked me to pick up cards for her mom and stepmother. Standing in front of the Hallmark rack, it felt sad to select only two cards. Even with the dysfunction that defined our relationship, she was still my mother and I missed her.
It has been amazing to watch Mary Beth parent our children for the past 28 years. Practically a child herself when Brandon was born, my wife has always put the children’s needs ahead of her own.
Brandon, Caitlin, Andrew and Emily understand what makes them special and why they are loved because Mary Beth shows them every chance she gets. My wife shows them by setting clear expectations and by offering unconditional love.
My hope is Brandon and Andrew marry women who are just as committed to motherhood and Caitlin and Emily never worry about paying anything back; but focus on paying forward the lessons they have been taught.
Share Inspiring Words with Your Mother
No matter if you have a similar history with your mother or share what I get to witness everyday with Mary Beth, I hope this Mother’s Day is a day of peace for you, too.
And if you are looking for the right words to share with your mother, either through Facebook, email or by adding a handwritten note to a Mother’s Day card, here are 10 inspirational quotes that speak to the beautiful, and sometimes bittersweet, roles our mothers have in our lives – now and forever.
- “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
- “I was always at peace because of the way my mom treated me.” – Martina Hingis
- “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.”- Author Unknown
- “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.” – Rajneesh
- “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
- “Mother — that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.” – T. DeWitt Talmage
- “A mother understands what a child does not say.” – Author Unknown
- “God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers.” – Jewish Proverb
- “A mother is a mother still,
The holiest thing alive.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge